VIRTUAL LEARNING SEMINAR
The Essential Role of Hospice Care at End-stage Cancer Disease (30:53)
a seminar included in:
COURSE: Core Competencies in Interdisciplinary Cancer Rehabilitation
- Kristin M. Carroll, PT - Oncology Physical Therapist | Author | Educator | Co-Founder & Executive Director of Clinical Operations for Survivorship Solutions, LLC
Cancer is the leading cause of death worldwide. In the United States alone, an estimated 1,735,350 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed, and 609,640 people will die from the disease this year.
Hospice care is an essential component to high-quality cancer care. It should be available to patients whose cancer is no longer treatable or for those whose burdens of treatment outweigh the benefits. It is imperative to accept death as an inevitable final stage of life that needs support, guidance, and compassionate care, and it’s important for patients and providers to understand the difference between palliative and hospice care.
This seminar reviews the philosophy of hospice, its history, and the eligibility requirements for people diagnosed with a terminal cancer. The presenter will discuss the purpose, goals, and benefits of hospice care for the patient and caregivers as well as review current research and reimbursement models to improve team care coordination and communication with timely referral into this specialty.
General hospice services are reviewed, and specific interdisciplinary cancer rehabilitation interventions are discussed to highlight the role that the interdisciplinary hospice care team provides in education, compassionate care, and support. The audience will learn the importance of supporting end-stage cancer patients and their caregivers to ensure the highest level of dignity and quality of life.
- Discuss hospice care philosophy, history, and eligibility for people with a terminal cancer diagnosis
- Review the goals and benefits of hospice care for patients and their families
- Identify general hospice services and specific interdisciplinary cancer rehabilitation interventions
- Review current hospice care research regarding quality of life
- Educate regarding current hospice care benefits and reimbursement